Thursday, September 28, 2006

First full day in Nigeria

It's Thursday, Sept. 28 at 7:28 p.m. (Nigeria Time).
We're visiting an Internet cafe near the hostel we're staying at for the next two weeks in Jos, Nigeria.
It's been an amazing 24 hours since we touched down around 8 p.m. in Abuja.
I will say, our hostel here in Jos is much nicer than the one in Abuja. Rob and I were missing a toilet seat in our luxuary suite and the power went out for several minutes about an hour before we went to bed. But I understand that's sometimes the norm across the country.
The missionaries here in Jos said they just went eight days without any electricity. I'm sure my dad would love to see the wiring they do around here. Wires are criss-crossed like crazy and many of the electrical poles still use glass insulators on them.
My first impression of Nigeria was how friendly everyone has been. When I think of customs agents and army officers I don't typically expect them to be as friendly as they are here.
Numerous folks went to work when we showed up in Abuja with three of our checked boxes missing.
And I was amazed at how many people asked us for Bibles. They seemingly knew right away what we were here for and we gave three Bibles away just in the airport. Numerous others asked for them, but we had no more to give. A customs agent named Rachel wanted me to promise that I would bring one for her on our return.
After enjoying our luxuary suite in Abuja, including the 4 a.m. prayers by the Muslims over their public address system and Rob's late night charlie horse, we took off on the three hour drive to Jos this morning around 8 a.m.
The traffic was unbelievable. The standard mode of transportation for taxi drivers is a motorcycle and they owned the road with hundreds zipping up and down the roads.
We made one or two stops along the road and children just flooded the sides of our bus as they saw Americans who might buy their fruits, nuts, eggs and other goods.
They all loved having their picture taken, as long as we could show it to them afterwards.
We arrived in Jos at the missionary's compound and ate lunch before heading to the hostel to unpack.
We quickly head to the TH were we met 70 plus boys that the missionaries are working with. Most of them lived on the street before coming to the transitional home.
I was immediately grabbed by Arnold, a young boy who wouldn't let go of my hand the entire time we were there.
He led me around every inch of the compound.
My times up I'll try and write more later.
God bless.

No comments: